February 27, 2017

abortion and bribery rock police college lagos



 
A major scandal is brewing within the heart of the nation's best-known police college, the Police College, Ikeja, Lagos.
Tinuola Akande, a former cadet, is one of the individuals caught in the web of this scandal. The other characters in the drama, which started earlier this year, are other female cadets, senior police officers and an abortion syndicate comprising medical doctors at the police hospital.

Akande and other police cadets were some months into their training at the police college when they were told that they would have to take a pregnancy test. They were also told that female cadets who tested positive would be dismissed. So, when she tested positive during the routine test, Akande knew there was danger. Desperate to save her career, she sought the help of an abortion syndicate in the police hospital. The syndicate promised to abort the pregnancy and also find a way to change the result of the first test and replace it with the new one.

According to Akande, the abortion was conducted on February 3, 2017. She said the doctor collected N15,000 from her before she was smuggled into the hospital in the middle of the night and a medical doctor conducted the abortion.
After the abortion, she was still dismissed. She went back to the doctor and he told her to be prayerful. Akande also said that six of them had abortions at the police hospital but the results were not changed.

25 year-old Hafsat Mohammed, a mother of one and a former cadet inspector from Kebbi State, is one of the cadets who tested positive to the pregnancy test.
"When the pregnancy test conducted on me showed that I was positive, one of the doctors at the police hospital asked me to bring N35,000 so that I could abort my pregnancy. I told him I had only N15,000. He said N15,000 was not enough. So, from that day, I ignored him and deleted his number," she said.

Mohammed, who was desperate to remain in the school, went for the abortion at a private hospital. She paid N10,000. Yet, she was dismissed. She believed she was dismissed because she refused to cooperate with the abortion syndicate at the police hospital.

"Two weeks ago, the commandant called five of us and said a signal from Abuja said we should be dismissed. I have lost my pregnancy. But I know my name was included for dismissal because I did not agree to pay the doctor at the police hospital for abortion. My pregnancy was eight weeks. My husband knew about the abortion. Now we are both pained because the police work I tried to keep is gone," she lamented.

Twenty-four-year-old Adejobi Oluwaseun, who hails from Lagos State is among the dismissed five. He told our correspondent that a senior police officer invited her and asked for a bribe to falsify the pregnancy test results.
Oluwaseun said, "I was a cadet constable. My pregnancy was not up to a month. I had the abortion outside the police hospital. I did not initially know the doctors at the hospital were collecting money (to carry out an abortion and change the list).
"We were on the field and we having a practice session on a day when I was called to the hospital. A senior police officer said I should bring money so that she could help falsify the pregnancy test results. I told her I would see her later. She then said I should go.
"One of the persons that also tested positive to the test later told me that she paid N15,000 to a doctor (name withheld) and had her pregnancy aborted. I was sad that she did not inform me to take that option and now I have been dismissed from the training."

According to Punch, all the cadets at the Police College, Ikeja, started their training on November 31, 2016. The duration of the training is 12 months for cadet inspectors and nine months for cadet constables.

The inspectors were drawn from all 36 states of the federation while the constables were selected from Lagos, Osun and Ondo states. About 2,000 police trainees are currently at the college.
The president of Nigerian Medical Association said that the security agencies must investigate and bring anyone found culpable to face the law.

No comments:

Post a Comment